Clothes, Gadgets and Gift Cards Prevail as Top Gifts This Father’s Day
This year, according to the National Retail Federation, the average person will spend $94.32 on Daddy dearest, up $3.43 from last year. Father’s Day spending is expected to reach a total of $9.8 billion. Wow! That is a lot of love for Dad!!
As one may have guessed, signature gifts Dad can expect include: new gadgets, special lunch/dinner outing, gift cards and clothing.
Quick breakdown of spending on gifts for dear ole Dad:
- 39.9% of those celebrating dad this year will treat him to a special outing such as dinner or brunch, spending $1.9 billion
- 36.7% plan on spending a total of $1.3 billion on clothes, so dad can expect a few more work shirts and ties to add to his collection as well.
- Others will shell out $1.2 billion on electronics… how many of you wish the new iPhone were coming out about a week earlier than Apple announced this morning?
- $749 million will be spent on greeting cards
- $578 million will go toward tools or appliances
- Home improvement or gardening tools will account for $550 million in gifting
- Dads who love their cars will receive about $400 million in automotive accessories
- Three out of 10 (31.2%) will give dad a gift card, spending an estimated $1.2 billion on those purchases.
Dads out there… What’s topping your list?
Here is another fun stat for you:
- Most people will buy for their father or stepfather this holiday (49.3%) but others will treat their husband (27.1%), son (7.4%), grandfather (4.4%), brother (5.1%) and friend (4.9%) to something nice.
Share below how you will celebrate all the beloved Dads in your life…