Things to Do Over the Thanksgiving Holiday
Excitement is building as Thanksgiving Day approaches, but many of us are just as excited about the fact that we have a four-day weekend! If you are one of those lucky enough to enjoy four days of holiday enjoyment, you may be wondering how to best spend your time after the Thanksgiving festivities are over. A lot of you will have company — kinfolks like mom, dad, brothers and sisters, in-laws and other out-of-town visitors. So how do you entertain yourself and/or your company over the long holiday weekend?
Below are a couple of ideas for things to do. If you have other entertainment ideas for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, don’t hesitate to share. Just leave a comment to this post and let our readers in on your favorite things to do on the days following Thanksgiving.
- Go Shopping – You can’t navigate the internet or turn on the TV without being bombarded with posts, ads, and information on sales for Black Friday and the Thanksgiving weekend. Shopping over the holiday weekend is by far the favorite activity of many families. For those who love shopping, this is what the long weekend is all about. If this describes you, have fun, hydrate, be safe, and we hope you save a lot of money!
- Do crafts with kids – A lot of families will be spending the weekend surrounded by kids, whether it be your own or the children of family and friends. This is the perfect time for bonding and creating memories, and crafts are an inexpensive way to keep kids occupied and happy. Check out free craft ideas suitable for kids.
- Catch a flick – Taking in a movie over the Thanksgiving weekend is a big tradition for many families. Check local listings in your newspaper or online and enjoy the release that taking in a movie over the holidays can bring. Also, renting movies and watching them at home is another option. It’s a great way to pass the time and relax.
- Create dishes from Thanksgiving leftovers – If you love cooking, this is a great time to show off your skills. Take that leftover turkey and make soup, or experiment with new recipes (check out our friends at Yummly).
- Play games – What better time for playing board games or video games than when you have a captive crowd at your disposal! Charades is a classic – and a wonderful way to laugh and have fun together without spending a dime.
- Watch Sports and Holiday Specials on TV – Forgive the cliche, but we’re guessing this is what the majority of guys will be doing over the long weekend, while their wives are shopping or cooking. That’s a traditional take on it, but many women also love sports, and often it’s the men who do the cooking. Either way, there are a lot of great sports events going on over the holiday weekend, as well as TV specials especially created for Thanksgiving and the long weekend.
- Buy and Sell Gift Cards at Plastic Jungle – Cash in gift cards you have (we pay out up to 92%). We also offer up to 30% off when you buy gift cards from over 400 retailers. If you are always working and haven’t had time to check us out, this is the perfect weekend to do just that!
- Rest – Ah..let out a huge sigh of relief and simply spend the weekend resting, reading, sleeping; just generally taking advantage of the chance for some much-needed downtime!